The final product (with a pretty filter).
Since my life is about to get busier than now, I thought I would challenge myself on my last day off – I made doughnuts. That’s right, homemade, from scratch doughnuts. I decided that in this year, when I cook outside of the crockpot realm I cook things I can fry. I really need to begin to re-think this idea, because this recipe was more complicated than I thought.
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups of Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 cups gluten- free rice flour (more as needed when rolling out the dough)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Chia seeds (replaced the xanthan gum)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg (set aside for later uses)
- Enough sugar to cover a small plate top
- Blackberry Jam
Let’s begin this journey into doughnut making with me shopping at the grocery store. Most of these ingredients were really easy to find, except for the xanthan gum. I have been looking for this ingredient to help with my non-gluten baking experiments, but since moving to Ohio I have not been able to find it. In my research for alternatives I discovered that instead of xanthan gum one can use chia seeds or flax seeds. I was doubtful at first chia seeds would be successful, but honestly they worked extremely well as a binding agent and the doughnut dough stayed together very nicely.
Now on to the cooking/making. The first step of the recipe called for all wet ingredients (2 beaten eggs, 2 cups of buttermilk, and 1/4 cup of melted butter) into one big bowl. Then mix the dry ingredients (5 cups of white rice flour, 1 cup of sugar, 2 tsp of baking soda, 1 tsp of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons of chia seeds, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon) in a different bowl. Slowly add the dry mix into the wet mix. How I accomplished this, was that I didn’t. I tried to add in the dry mixture slowly, “layering” it in, but really I would just stir it all together slowly. After I added the last cup of dry mix, I used my hands to make sure the mixture adhered together. Then I let the dough sit for 15 minutes.
While the dough was “rising” for 15 minutes, I set up the vegetable oil (about 2 inches in a frying pan), and the “stations” I would use. Station one: the cutting board covered with rice flour to “roll” out the dough into 1/4 inch thickness and use a cup to make circles. Station 2: the plate to put the circles of dough on. Station 3: The extra beaten egg and brush used to brush the outer edge of the circle of dough. Station 4: Putting jelly in the center of the dough. Station 5: Deep frying. Station 6: Paper towels to put the doughnut on after it has been fried. Station 7: Sugar time! Put sugar on both sides of the doughnut and lastly, put in a container to bring to work tomorrow.
The stations sound confusing, but in the end it made it easier for me to do all of the steps. So once the dough was ready, I took a chunk out and “rolled” it out to 1/4-inch thickness. The truth is, I do not own a roller, so I used my palms and my fingers and eyeballed about 1/4-inch thickness of dough. Then I used a cup to cut a circle into the dough (these would later be used as the top and bottom of the doughnut). The dough proved to be very sticky, so I ended up using about 1/2 – 3/4 cups of rice flour to make sure the dough didn’t stick to the cutting board. I made about 14 circles with the dough.
Next, I took one circle of dough, and then using a brush, paint the outer edges of dough with the egg (this apparently acts as a way for the dough to stick together). Then I put about a spoonful of blackberry jam in the middle. The original recipe calls for only 1/2 of teaspoon of jam for each doughnut, but I didn’t think that was enough, so I just put a spoonful in. Then I put another dough circle on top and pinch the edges together so the jelly didn’t come out of the doughnut.
Now comes the fun part of deep-frying the doughnut. Using a spatula, I put the doughnut in the oil. Again, I struggled with timing when it came to deep-frying the doughnut. The first couple of ones were a little burnt, but I got better as the time kept going and realized my timing. Also, I only managed to burn myself 5 times because I was able to jump out of the way of the oil coming out of the pan. I seem to forget that when you put an object in oil, there will be a splash. It took me about 3 times to remember this fact when I flipped the doughnuts, but it helped me get in my routine to prevent me from burning the doughnuts. After making one doughnut, I would flip the one already in the oil and remove the one on to the paper towels, and then make the other doughnut in a continuous circle. After I had made all the doughnuts, I then sugar on both sides. When all the doughnuts were done, I made doughnuts holes with the left over dough in the oil.
I don’t think that I had the thickness of the dough around 1/4-inches, so the doughnuts were a little bit “bready”. But, these were pretty good! I would totally make them again so I could have a good gluten free doughnut. I would also add even more jelly into the center, keeping it more moist/rich. Very good and very filling.
The Nitty Gritty:
- Total Cost: $40.00 – I had two buy two bags of rice flour, 2 new spices, and butter milk which proved to be more expensive than I thought.
- Total time: Prep – 20 minutes, 15 minutes rising, 30 minutes cooking – 1 hr 5 minutes
- Serving Size: 8 doughnuts