About a month ago my older sister sent me an article with a bunch of crock pot options, so I sent them to my friends and said pick one. My friend responded very quickly that she would like me to make the teriyaki chicken recipe, so I got after it.
– 1/2 cup chicken broth (gluten free)
– 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (gluten free as well)
– 1/3 cup brown sugar (I went with light brown sugar, because I think this is the more healthy version, but to be honest I’m not sure.)
– 1/4 cup soy sauce (this was gluten free as well)
– 5 chicken thighs
– 1 two second poor of sesame oil
– 2-3 green onions diced (just for the topping)
– white rice
So making this dish proved to be very easy, and not time consuming at all. Basically all I did was combine the ingredients above, only to find out that I didn’t have chicken breasts. Instead I used the rest of the chicken thighs I had in the freezer from last week when I made jambalaya. The recipe called for a teaspoon of sesame oil, but I really didn’t want to have to wash the teaspoon so instead a solid two second pour seemed like the same. I’m sure it isn’t, but it didn’t effect the taste!
I ended up sharing this dish with five people, and everyone spoke very highly of the dish. It was very delicious, but the only thing that was a bit strange was that the sauce didn’t thicken in the way that I thought it would. Perhaps the sauce isn’t suppose to thicken, but maybe it is. Also, next time I would add vegetables to the dish such as broccoli, snap peas, and carrots. Overall, really good!
The Nitty Gritty:
– Total Cost: $30.00
– Total time: 5 minutes prep and 5 hrs of cooking so 5 hrs and 5 minutes
– Serving Size: 8